Tuesday, May 24 - Tempers flared at today's council meeting when the town of Olde Milford debated the need for Planned Parenthood Services. With a large "increase in pregnancy among unmarried, very young girls", the services would provide a place to go to receive "information and counseling".
The cost of these services would cost approximately $297,600. An amount greater than the insufficient funds the town of Olde Milford has to offer. Rodney Bean, mathematician specializing in subtraction, poignantly observed that "$235,500 - $297,600 = -$62,100". In layman's terms Olde Milford is $62,100 short of implementing this program. The council, consisting solely of middle aged men, proved to have little to no concern for these expenses, and struck the motion down. Family man, Justin Levine offered no comment.
Jacob E. Andriola - The Scoop

The counseling service for pregnant teens seemed like an unnecessary expense, as it would do little to nothing to prevent teen pregnancies in the first place. After hearing from the members of the public, the council and I felt that funds should be allotted to education in schools, so that pregnancies could be prevented in the first place. Before coming to the problem we must stop it in its tracks, and this planned parenthood would offer support to those who were already pregnant. We need to send a message to young women that they must practice safe sex or abstain from sex before so such situations would not arise.
ReplyDeleteCouncilman Raja is completely correct on this issue. The counseling, which could be done in schools or at home, was the only thing that this clinic provided. This was a place where women went who already were pregnaunt, not those who were thinking about sexual activity. The money should be invested into sex ed, not into this clinic. I know that most of the public agrees with this side, but not everyone. This heated topic ended with a 4-1 vote, however, so the council was pretty sure of its decision.
ReplyDeleteThis proposition is an awful idea and i for one am very satisfied that it didn't pass. First off as a Minister at an African church we frown upon sex before marriage and in this case it seems to me that they are encouraging underage sex. We could put this money into more productive things consisting of putting some of the money toward the sex ed department of schools. So that the students are educated and know the consequences of having sex.
ReplyDeleteI definitely supported the councils decision to deny the proposal of a planned parenthood clinic. The clinic did not seem to be offering much to the community despite the expenses it called for. It does not seem at all necessary for the town to be using our funds for a service that only provides information to women 16 years or older regarding unplanned pregnancies rather than offering any kind of affirmative action. I agree with Raja that educating teenagers in schools about such issues would be sufficient in providing students with knowledge on how to practice safe sex. However, I disagree with Greg's accusation that the clinic is promoting underage sex. Although I did not support the proposal I do not think the clinic was promoting underage sex at all but rather was just designed to help women get through unplanned pregnancies by providing them support. Offering women with support when going through such circumstances does not seem to be encouraging their actions at all.
ReplyDeleteAs a doctor, I see the pros and cons of both sides. For one, a planned parenthood clinic, would provide aid and assistance to those mothers or teens in need of help, which could prove to be very beneficial. A con of the clinic is that it would need to be looked after and maintained. Not having the clinic would obviously save a nice chunk of money that could be redirected towards education and other projects. Not having a clinic would also eliminate any help women were searching for. While any other day I would be for the clinic, I don't think Olde Milford is in a situation where we can afford to spend extra money, especially if there are more efficient programs. Out of all the Health Department reforms, I am willing to let this one go.
ReplyDeleteAfter hearing from members of the public, I am proud to say I think the council members made a good decision in letting this program slide. We have made large strides in special interest healthcare, however, I find this program to be somewhat unnecessary, because it does not actually provide aid for young girls other than counseling. I am a strong supporter of women's rights, and I want mother's and their children to have express access to healthcare services, it is for this reason that I approved the pediatric care unit. I would also like the public to know that I am in my thirties, and I don't want to be roped in with the "middle-aged" older men.
ReplyDeleteI believe the clinic would have offered some help to the community, as the minimum age for women is only 16, which means any woman over 16 could have received any information and counseling if she was pregnant, even if they were in their 20s or 30s. We were too narrow minded when we said that this information should be distributed through high school sex education programs, as many older woman who may utilize the clinic would not be able to attend high school for this information. Yet I still agree that it was right to cut the Planned Parenthood from budget, as it only offered information and counseling, not contraceptives or solutions. It seemed like it would be a waste without providing such services.
ReplyDeleteI support the council's descision. The money is too valuable to be spent on something like this. This would have cost us too much money and is not worth it. It basically assumes the role of a catalog. All it does is give information which people can get out of a book or internet site. I am glad that this was not passed.
ReplyDeleteThe council made a good decision this week. "Counselling" is not worth $300,000 in taxes. We should spend that kind of money on guns and protection for our police force, which actually protect all citizens from real threats, and not therapy that protects a small percentage of citizens from a problem they cause.
ReplyDeleteI would support the council members' decision to strike down the Planned Parenthood clinic when the funding should go to sex education in schools, but lets ACTUALLY see the money go to the SCHOOLS. When is that going to come up in a vote??? Don't just make promises, keep them!
ReplyDeleteI am glad the Council recognized the importance of education and appropriating money as such. Seeing representatives such as councilman Dibari speak so highly in favor of the education system made me so happy. I feel terrible for poor Ms. Rowe having had such little exposure to reality at so young. Poor darling... Glad to see the Council take this into consideration as I feel the issue of sexual education and guidance is extremely important. After having four kids ...and being a divorcee, I know the importance of counseling. Also, I hope the money will go for education and welfare.
ReplyDeleteI am extremely excited that our council did not want this bill for a clinic for teenagers that our pregnant. This was a very unnessecary expence and everyone was against it including me. As a minister I believe that Sex should be saved for marriage. I think that this clinic is promoting early sex before marriage. We should put this money into our education for in our school system and Sex Ed to inform our students of the consquences that come along with having sex before marriage. Im glad this didnt pass and hopefully we can put this money toward more important things.
ReplyDelete